Wednesday, August 28, 2013

36/329: Late bloomer I guess

Better late than never, I guess.

I just read James Molet's post about being fiscally fit in one's 20s, 30s, and 40s. I'm in my 40s now, but I'm reducing debt and trying to establish an emergency fund like a younger person. I'm at least one decade behind, if not more, but I'm gonna plug away no matter what.

With that in mind, it will be my responsibility to impart good money habits with my own kids before they enter into adulthood. Lesson learned.

Change of subject.

It's early morning, and I'm having my coffee and thinking about what I'll do in my classroom today to prepare for the students next week. I teach high school. I'm nervous because I will be teaching two new classes (preps) plus a handful of independent study kids. They're all "high flyers", which is good, but the downside is that they will expect me to be all knowing and fully prepared every day. I expect that of myself, too. It's just not gonna happen until I've gone through an entire year of trials, successes, and missteps. It's just the way it goes.

On a related note, it occurred to me this morning as I logged on to my computer how I've grown just a tiny bit with my own fiscal journey. Before writing this and reading James' post, I did something that would seem unthinkable two months ago. I checked my online checking account AND my accounts for both telephone and energy bills. What? I know. Good, right?

My checking account remains spot on and at the exact balance I expect it to be in. Shockingly, I have a credit, a CREDIT in both of the other bills. What? I overpaid my phone and electric? For a surprise, I guess that's a good surprise, but I'm even a bit baffled by it. But I'm not going to argue.

I am still reeling from my checking account taking an overdraft fee a couple of days ago when in my daily account checks I never once saw the account dip. Honestly, never. The four bank people that I spoke with all told me that my account briefly, all but for a couple of hours. dipped to a negative number when my electronic garbage bill went through. Apparently, my deposit from Larry (his financial assistance for my bringing his brother and family to the state fair...it's a long story) didn't kick in for a few hours. Because my online account only showed black and no red on my end, I never saw the few hours that the bank "paid my garbage bill" (their words.....THEY paid my garbage bill), they allow themselves to collect $37 anyway.

After making a stink about this, adding my claim that I have been checking my account every morning, which is the truth, they offered a fee reversal of $19 which I took, irritatedly.

I still don't like banks, but at least it's good to know that I'm not afraid of them anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I started a little later than I would have liked, 33-34, but it is possible to get fit in time. Difficult but possible. Keep plugging away, my friend, making sound fiscal decision on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete