Tuesday, August 6, 2013

14/351: Tip Jar

It's the first day of camp for my two kids, so I have the whole week to myself to do as I please. My plan is to catch up on reading and writing, exercise, walk the dog, not clean floors, go to bed late, wake up late, not spend any money, perhaps attend my first DA meeting, and pick up some hours at Skinny's Pub.

Last night at Skinny's was a short two hour shift during dinnertime. Based on my first night there, I was expecting slim pickin's, especially in the tip jar. But surprises do happen. In just two and a half hours, I made $36 combined in wages and tips. Imagine if I had worked an eight hour shift on an equally busy night. I would have potentially made about $120 in one shift, and that ain't half bad. Tips do make a girl feel good.

When I got home, I put all of my earnings into my personal, plastic tip jar on my dresser. Then I poured myself some cold, white wine, plopped in a couple of extra ice cubes, and relaxed with the dog and a stupid final episode of the Bachelorette, a show I never make time to watch because it's so sanitized and phony. A little bit of good bad television (programs you can pick apart and feel superior to) after being on your feet waiting tables is a welcome thing sometimes, so who cares?

Good first day alone....I'm making this work.


No comments:

Post a Comment