Sunday, August 25, 2013

33/332: Bank error...or is it?

It's the Sunday before I go back to school to teach. I'm a little depressed about the summer break ending, but only a little bit depressed. Truth is, I'm lucky to be gainfully employed at a job that I like. That's the truth. I feel blessed, and a bit lazy is all.

That said, I do have a score to settle with my bank. For the past month, I have been checking my account every day religiously including yesterday afternoon. After a day of shopping for school clothes with my daughter, I came home and checked my email and accounts.

There it was. An insufficient funds fee for $37, only my account HAS NOT had insufficient funds for four weeks. I know, because I've checked every single day. Those creeps. Bastards. I really hate banks.

Of course after dialing the bank's number yesterday, I got the message saying to call back during normal business hours. Oh, don't worry, I'm gonna call first thing on Monday.

I wonder if this bank has created some kind of algorithm that predicts consumer obliviousness which allows random withdrawals from unsuspecting customers. I am actually cynical enough to believe that this could be possible. I have heard that some banks have created computer systems for themselves that place the largest check or withdrawal in front of smaller checks and withdrawals, thereby creating more insufficient funds charges from customers that don't check their accounts. Banks are greedy bastards.

So on Monday morning, my plan is to call and set everything straight, and if they give me a song and a dance, I will ask to speak with a manager and ask them to PAY ME an additional $37 for taking up my time and energy. It won't work, I know that, but I would like them to know that someone is always watching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment