Saturday, August 10, 2013

18/347: Plan to avoid overdrafts

I calculated my expenses and what will come out of yesterday's paycheck. I added the trip to Leeann Chin for the kids' "back from summer camp welcome dinner" at $14.00 and my nephew's birthday present magazine subscription for $15.00. Anticipating that I'll use my tip money from Skinny's to buy food for next week, it looks as though I'll be negative $96.00 by the time my student loan payment is automatically debited.

My plan? I'll pay $85.00 as a regularly planned monthly payment to one of my credit cards, and then pay Max's fall soccer fees with the card. Then, I'll ask Larry if he'll cover me $85.00 in cash. (He usually agrees to pay sports and activity fees when they come up seasonally because I pay $73 every month for both kids' musical instruments for a whopping $876 on my end.) Finally I'll just call the gas card company on Monday and tell them to cancel the scheduled auto debit of $13, and I'll just mail in the amount so that it arrives at their office before my next paycheck in thirteen days.

With this plan, and if I vow to only pay in cash (from my wallet and from the savings jar), I should make it with no overdraft fees on my checking account.

I vow to check my account online each and every morning so that there are no surprises or omissions. I have to be disciplined, I need to be honest with my kids about what we can and cannot buy, and I need to be kind to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment