Wednesday, August 21, 2013

29/336: Checking my checking

I've been blogging for almost one month, and it has helped me feel better. That was part of my intent. The other part was to start better habits to lower my debt and help me feel more able to provide for my kids on a month to month basis.

It's just a baby step, but the fact that I am now logging on to my checking account DAILY and WITH EASE and no upset stomach is a huge milestone. For me.

When I wake up in the morning, I put the dog out, make my coffee, turn on Charlie Rose, and log on to my laptop. News headlines, entertainment tidbits, my personal email, my work email....and then I check my checking account. It's now part of my morning routine. And it's just nice to know EXACTLY what I have, what I've spent, and that I've planned well. No surprises, all is well. All is in the black, too. That is a big thing for me.

I want to vow to myself (am I good at vows? I guess we'll see....) that I'll check my account regularly if not every day. I want to add to my financial confidence. I want payday to be something more than a transition period between a full account and an empty one. I want to get to the point where I can do the following:

1) I want to really have an emergency savings account, not just the tip jar on my dresser
2) I want to be able to have a little more left over each pay period for fun spending with my kids

That's not too much to ask of myself, so I just have to stay the course.

I'm feeling grateful this morning for this first month of financial reflection. Let it be so for the next eleven.

2 comments:

  1. The start of your day sounds a lot like my mine as I get in a run, make a smoothie, make my coffee, check email, check my savings/investment accounts (balancing against Quicken) with either Bloomberg TV or a documentary on in the background.

    Good move in focusing on that emergency fund. Smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James, and I will get on that er fund. I keep thinking about the Dave Ramsey plan of having at least $1,000 for emergencies. Hopefully BEFORE the end of this 365 day blog, I'll have that all taken care of.

    ReplyDelete