Monday, July 29, 2013

6/359: Two good things happened

First, I was able to easily stop payment from Consumer Credit of Des Moines. The kind woman on the other end of the phone said that it would be no problem for me to mail in a cashier's check by August 15th.

Second, I worked my very first shift as a server at our neighborhood pub, Skinny's, this afternoon. For three hours of work serving up a buffet funeral luncheon, the manager handed me $40 cash. He said that while the rate for buffet service was $10 per hour, he threw in a little extra because I learned a lot today.

I placed those couple of twenty dollar bills directly into a clean, plastic jar that used to hold hazelnut chocolate spread, and hid it toward the back of my dresser. My plan is to keep all cash payments and and tips in that jar to be used for emergencies. My hope is that after a month or so, that jar will hold enough to help me celebrate the Minnesota State Fair with my kids. At the Fair, our yearly tradition before school starts, it's easy to plop down over $100 for tickets, food, and entertainment. I hope that this little emergency / treat jar helps me and my family feel a little bit more normal these last eight months as I do what I can to continue to pay down my debt.

It's been a good day today. I feel better knowing that there is always this blog site for me to keep myself honest about my money intake and output. Thank you to those readers that help me to stay honest.

Question: If you are someone that has struggled with saving money in the past, or you are struggling like me now, what advice would you give? I would so appreciate your comments. Thanks again.


No comments:

Post a Comment